Wexford Youths captain Kylie Murphy was looking forward to another big day out in the Aviva Stadium after Katrina Parrock's late match-winner against UCD Waves earned them a place in the Continental Tyres FAI Women's Cup final.

The Ferrycarrig Park-based club have mixed memories of the showpiece, having seen off Shelbourne on penalties after a 2-2 draw in 2015, before being humbled 5-0 by the Dubliners the following year, and Murphy is relishing the chance to atone for that defeat when they take to the field against Peamount United on Sunday, November 4.

“Who doesn't want to be in the Aviva? Playing in your national stadium is fantastic. Of course the last time we played there we got beaten 5-0, so we've definitely a few wrongs to make right. We'll give it our best no matter what and fingers cross that it will go our way on the day,” she said.

Of course before they turn their full attentions to the excitement of cup final day, Wexford have the not so small matter of a league title to win, and if they can get three points at home to Cork City on Saturday evening they will retain their crown.

“It's all about getting over the line so Saturday is massive. The league is the main thing for us. Everybody wants a taste of European football. We need three points and we go into every game wanting to win it so that's what we'll aim to do. It's a quick turnaround but we'll just have to keep fighting away. It's not about tidy football or anything like that at this stage of the season, it's just about getting the job done,” she said.

Wexford Youths certainly had to summon something special on Wednesday evening as a much-improved second-half performance saw them eventually grind out the win over UCD, and Murphy admits it took them a while to find their stride.

“UCD came out fast and they were pressing us very high. The last couple of games has probably taken a bit out of us. We've had to change formations, with players playing in different positions.

"Missing Rianna (Jarrett) is obviously massive but we spoke about the fact than we're not a one-person team and we have to get on with it. It's squads that win games and leagues so we have to find a way around it no matter what happens,” she said.

They certainly found a way after the interval as they pushed forward relentlessly in search of the winner and got with they deserved when Parrock plundered the all-important goal with seven minutes remaining.

“We had a lot more of the ball in the second-half, we pressed a lot higher. We just came out with a bit more bite. We were probably a little bit complacent in the first-half but the second-half was much more us, fighting for everything and trying to win the first and second ball.

"Thankfully we got the win in the end,” she said.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site