Goals from Eleanor Ryan Doyle, Jade Reddy and Amber Barrett made it three wins in eight days for Women’s FAI Cup finalists Peamount United as they avenged last month’s defeat to Galway at Greenogue.

Despite six changes from their FAI Cup semi-final win over Shelbourne midweek, Peamount started on the front foot and were a goal up inside two minutes.

Galway failed to defend Sarah McKevitt’s corner to allow Ryan Doyle shoot past keeper Tina Hughes from close range.

A minute later Amber Barrett forced a save from Hughes after Louise Masterson picked out the home skipper with a left flank cross.

Galway enjoyed a good deal of possession, forcing two corners, though without threatening the Peamount goal.

And the westerners were undone again from Peas’ second corner of the game on 16 minutes.

McKevitt’s delivery was only half cleared. Reddy latched onto the loose ball to crack a stunning right-foot drive to the net from some 25 yards.

The woodwork rescued Galway on 25 minutes, Barrett’s audacious effort from the edge of the centre-circle coming back off the crossbar.

Hughes then excelled with excellent saves in quick succession from Barrett and Dearbhaile Beirne as Galway survived conceding again before half-time.

Galway registered their first effort on target three minutes into the season half.

Sinead Donovan’s sublime ball sent Sadhbh Doyle in behind down the inside left channel. Her powerful shot was brilliantly pushed away and out for a corner by Naoisha McAloon.

But it was Hughes who was beaten at the other end again on 51 minutes.

Rachel Baynes was booked for a foul on Ryan Doyle. Barrett executed further punishment when her 40-yard free kick found the net despite Hughes getting a hand to it.

It’s was Barrett’s 27th goal of the league campaign to draw her level with Wexford Youths’ Rianna Jarrett in the race for the Golden Boot.

Barrett’s replacement, Aine O’Gorman, wasn’t far off adding to the scoreline when heading wide on 72 minutes.

To their credit, Galway kept playing and were a threat on the counter, though they wasted a glorious chance a minute later.

Doyle’s ball over the top put Aoife Thompson in on goal, but the striker shot wide.

Galway would finally get some reward for their endeavour on 83 minutes.

Thompson was fouled inside the box by Claire Walsh with skipper Maeve De Burca scoring confidently from the resting penalty.

Peamount United: McAloon; Reddy, Barnes, Moloney (Walsh, 69), Keenan; McCartan, Masterson, Ryan Doyle (Smyth-Lynch, 60); Beirne, Barrett (O’Gorman, 66), McKevitt.

Galway WFC: Hughes; Walsh, Singleton (Brady, 68), De Burca, Lobato; O’Flaherty, Mullins (Starr, 78), Donovan, Baynes, Doyle; Thompson.

Referee: Emma Cleary (Leitrim).

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site