A goal deep in stoppage time from Amber Barrett broke Galway hearts as Peamount United deprived their visitors of a deserved draw in a keenly contested Só Hotels Women’s National League clash at PRL Park.

Billy Clery’s young Galway side showed admirable resilience to come from two goals down at half-time to dominate the second half only to be undone at the death.

With the watch of referee Sarah Dyas into the third minute of added time, Niamh Farrelly threaded a ball through for the run of Barrett who showed her class to calmly sweep the ball past 16-year-old goalkeeper McPhilbin Ria for her second goal of the game.

Victory made it nine from nine for James O’Callaghan’s Newcastle side to maintain their five-point lead at the top of the table.

While Peamount enjoyed a good deal of possession from the start, they struggled initially to create much in the final third against a Galway defence well marshalled by Shauna Fox and skipper Keara Cormican.

When they did get the ball into the area, keeper Ria’s handling was secure.

All that good work was undone, though, when the visitors were punished for the first mistake of the game on 18 minutes.

Peas winger Megan Smyth Lynch was alive to a misplaced pass to cleverly cut inside a defender and find the bottom right corner of the net with a crisp drive off her trusty leg foot.

Peamount’s dominant spell of pressure was rewarded again as they doubled their lead on 28 minutes. Elenor Ryan Doyle broke into the box to dink the ball over Ria as they collided.

And though the ball trickled wide of the far post, Dyas blew for a penalty which Barrett shot emphatically to the net.

Terrific goalkeeping at the other end deprived Galway of getting a goal back on 40 minutes in their first real chance of the game.

Meabh De Burca spread a pass wide left for Lynsey McKey whose fine strike was pushed away at full stretch by Naoise McAloon.

Galway showed their resilience from the restart, getting right back into the game six minutes into the second half with a well-taken goal.

The ball was worked across from the left to Chloe Singleton who set up substitute Sadhbh Doyle to score with a powerfully struck right-foot drive from outside the area.

Smyth Lynch was inches from restoring Peas' two-goal advantage four minutes later when her shot took a slight deflection to come back out off a post.

It proved just how fine the margins in the game were as Galway were then level on 68 minutes.

Peas defender Claire Walsh was livid at being penalised for a push on Galway striker Aoife Thompson inside the area.

De Burca confidently sent McAloon the wrong way from the spot.

And while it was Galway who pushed for a winner late on, peppering the home goal from free kicks and a corner, Peamount broke following the latter for Barrett to score her 12th of the season and snatch all three points.

Peamount United: McAloon; O’Callaghan, Corrigan, Walsh, Beirne; Farrelly, Duggan; O’Gorman, Ryan Doyle, Smyth Lynch (Masterson, 78); Barrett.
Galway WFC: Ria; Lobota, Fox, Cormican, Clancy (Baynes, 66); Singleton, Donovan (Doyle, 36), De Burca, Mullins (O’Flaherty, 82), McKey; Thompson.
Referee: Sarah Dyas (Drogheda).

Photo: Mick O'Shea

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site