Peamount United staged a stirring second-half fightback to earn a share of the spoils against champions Wexford Youths in an entertaining Continental Tyres Women's National League encounter in Ferrycarrig Park.

First-half goals from captain Kylie Murphy and Becky Conroy looked to have given the home side a strong foundation, but the Dubliners didn't let their heads drop and struck back through Eleanor Ryan-Doyle and Amber Barrett after the interval.

Peamount United began with the pep in their step of a side high on confidence and Eleanor Ryan-Doyle was first to try her luck when she flashed a shot wide on ten minutes and then midway through the half Amber Barrett was the width of a coat of paint away from breaking the deadlock.

Aine O'Gorman floated in a good ball from the right wing, and after Ryan-Doyle's shot was blocked, Barrett struck the right-hand post with the follow-up.

However, on 30 minutes Wexford Youths hit the front with their first real attack of note. Claire O'Riordan did well on the right wing and whipped in a searching cross and the inrushing Kylie Murphy rose highest to nod in at the far post.

Wexford's tails were up and they instantly looked like a completely different animal. Moments after getting their noses in front they almost doubled their advantage when Claire O'Riordan broke through, but her vicious shot was well saved by goalkeeper Naoisha McAloon.

The hosts did make it two on 39 minutes and the strike was a thing of beauty. Becky Conroy picked up the ball 25 yards from goal and glided an accurate left-footed shot over the head of the netminder.

The Slaneysiders continued to try to press home their advantage and Claire O'Riordan again went close as the game ticked into injury time, volleying narrowly off target.

Peamount began the second-half with real fire in their bellies though and seven minutes in they saw a penalty claim waved away when Aine O'Gorman's cross struck the hand of a defender.

The visitors were right back in the game ten minutes after the restart when Eleanor Ryan-Doyle beat goalkeeper Sophie Lenehan to Aine O'Gorman's cross and turned the ball home from close range.

The lively O'Gorman continued to punch holes in the Wexford Youths defence and she had a sight of goal on 57 minutes but couldn't get enough power on the shot with an outstretched leg.

They didn't have long to wait for the equaliser though, with the ever-dangerous Amber Barrett curling in a stunning free-kick from the edge of the area on the hour mark.

Wexford Youths threatened an instant reply when Becky Conroy whipped in cross from the left wing, but Claire O'Riordan just failed to get a telling touch.

Conroy again caused problems for the Peamount defence on 67 minutes when she ran on to Rianna Jarrett's knock down, but her shot was clawed away by McAloon.

Substitute Orla Casey again warmed the netminder's gloves with ten minutes remaining with an angled drive from outside of the area, and although both sides continued to attack neither could force a late winner.

Wexford Youths: Sophie Lenehan, Nicola Sinnott, Lauren Dwyer, Orlaith Conlon, Amy Walsh, Edel Kennedy, Kylie Murphy, Becky Conroy (Becky Cassin 89), Aoibhin Webb (Aisling Frawley 75), Rianna Jarrett (Orla Casey 77), Claire O'Riordan.

Peamount United: Naoisha McAloon, Lauryn O'Callaghan (Sarah McKevitt 73), Claire Walsh, Louise Corrigan, Chloe Moloney, Niamh Farrelly (Niamh Barnes 77), Karen Duggan, Lucy McCartan, Eleanor Ryan-Doyle, Aine O'Gorman, Amber Barrett.

Referee: Michelle O'Neill.


We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site