Galway WFC booked their place in the semi-finals of the Continental Tyres Women’s National League Cup with a resounding 9-0 rout of Kilkenny United.

The game was over at halftime after a seven-goal first-half blitz from the home side on a sun-swept Sunday afternoon at Eamonn Deacy Park.

They opened the scoring after nine minutes when Shauna Fox got onto the end of an excellent Lynsey McKey cross to head home.

McKey would be at the heart of the Corribsiders second goal also, when she drifted out to the left-hand side and put in a low cross which was deflected into the net off Kilkenny defender Shauna Martin.

Indeed, McKey pulling out to wide positions was a theme of the opening stages with the forward time and time again putting in good crosses from the flanks.

It was soon 3-0 to Billy Cleary’s outfit as full back Carlie Schect got her name on the scoresheet.

Schect’s goal was perhaps the pick of the bunch with her rifling a strike from 30 yards out into the bottom left corner.

McKey made it 4-0 just two minutes later by getting onto a ball played over the top of the Kilkenny backline before coolly slotting the ball past Megan Butler in the Kilkenny goal.

The game was only midway through the first half and a Galway victory already all but guaranteed.

It only got worse for Kilkenny when after 26 minutes Sadbh Doyle found space on the right-hand side of the box and blasted her shot inside the near post for Galway’s fifth of the day.

McKey nearly got Galway’s sixth soon after but she couldn’t get her shot from close range on target after getting on the end of a corner.

On the 36-minute mark though, it was 6-0, as Sadbh Doyle got her second by tapping in a rebound after Aislinn Meaney shot was saved.

Sinead Donavan capitalised on a mistake by goalkeeper Megan Butler just before the break to ensure it was 7-0 at the interval.

Kilkenny barely got out of their out half at all during the first period, and Shane Murray’s side appeared utterly dejected going into the dressing room at halftime.

Galway started the second half as they finished the first, making it 8-0 just four minutes after the restart.

Sinead Donavan grabbing her second through a tap-in from about three yards out.

The last goal of the game was scored by Lynsey McKey who was on hand to pounce after Aislinn Meaney’s shot was well saved by Kilkenny sub keeper Niamh Coombes with 15 minutes left.

Galway WFC: Tina Hughes (Louise Creaven 40), Carlie Schecht, Méabh De Búrca, Shauna Fox, Lucia Lobatto, Emma Starr, Tessa Mullins (Aoife Thompson 49), Sinead Donovan, Sadbh Doyle, Aislinn Meaney, Lynsey McKey.

Kilkenny United: Megan Butler (Niamh Coombes HT), Erin Best, Shauna Martin (Coleen Rackard 53), Sarah O’Donoghue, Niamh Kelly, Bronagh Kane, Gillian Keenan, Carla McManus, Aibhe Clancy, Margaret Doyle (Nicole Plunkett 53), Kim Waters.

Referee: Emma Cleary

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site