Wexford Youths progressed to the semi-finals of the Continental Tyres Women’s National League Cup as they came from behind to defeat Cork City 2-1 in Bishopstown on Sunday afternoon.

Michelle O’Driscoll’s superb finish gave City the lead at half time but goals from Orlaith Conlon and a last-gasp strike from Claire O’Riordan was enough to see the champions progress to the final four of the competition.

These two sides faced each other in the league just last weekend and it was Youths who emerged victorious thanks to Aisling Frawley’s early strike at Ferrycarrig Park.

That would prove to be Frank Kelleher’s last match in charge and his temporary replacement Ivan Bevan made just two changes to the side that was narrowly beaten that afternoon with Courtney O’Keefe and Kate O’Donovan taking the places of Danielle Sheehy and Savannah McCarthy.

Youth’s manager Tom Elmes made five changes to his side following that outing with Ciamh Dollard, Becky Cassin, Becky Conroy, Rianna Jarrett and Ciara Delaney taking the starting berths from Sophie Lenihan, Amy Walsh, Kylie Murphy, Edel Kennedy and Claire O’Riordan.

And following a tame opening to proceedings here, the visitors created the first opportunity of note when Rianna Jarrett fired towards goal from the edge of the box but her difficult effort was well saved by Amanda Budden.

Wexford again went close just shy of the half an hour mark as Aisling Frawley’s superb cross was volleyed narrowly wide of the bottom left corner by Jarrett.

City would make Youths pay for missing those opening as they took the lead against the run of play just a matter of moments later.

Michelle O’Driscoll shrugged off the challenge of her marker on the edge of the penalty area before emphatically drilling her strike across the keeper and into the far bottom right corner of the net for her second ever goal for the club.

And she went close to doubling her sides lead as the first half drew to a close but on this occasion, the playmaker could only turn Christina Dring’s fine cross over the bar under pressure.

Youths stared the second period the better side as Jarrett again threatened the City goal with a fierce drive from range but Amanda Budden was able to palm her attempt away from the target.

But Budden was finally beaten in the 51st minute and she could do nothing to stop Orlaith Conlon’s towering header from finding the top right corner to level the scores.

And just when it looked like these evenly matched sides would require extra time and potentially penalties in order to be separated, Claire O’Riordan popped up in injury time to grab the winner for Youths.

The City goalkeeper appeared to suffer a knock following a challenge from her own teammate and O’Riordan took full advantage, latching onto the loose ball on the edge of the area before calmly lifting it into the empty net.

CORK CITY: Amanda Budden, Courtney O’Keefe, Maggie Duncliffe, Ciara McNamara, Natalie O’Brien, Danielle Burke, Kate O’Donovan, Saoirse Noonan, Michelle O’Driscoll, Eadaoin Lyons, Christina Dring.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Ciamh Dollard, Ciara Delaney, Nicola Sinnott, Lauren Dwyer, Orlaith Conlon, Becky Cassin, Orla Casey, Aoibhin Webb, Becky Conroy, Rianna Jarrett, Aisling Frawley.

Referee: Jason Mannix.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site