Though Aine O’Gorman may have scored a goal-of-the-season contender minutes from time, Peamount United made hard work of booking their place in the semi-finals of the Continental Tyres FAI Women’s Cup against a game Kilkenny United at Greenogue.

Amber Barrett missed a penalty while Peamount also hit the frame of the goal four times in the second half as they struggled to kill off a dogged Kilkenny whom they had beaten 8-1 in the league last month.

Expectedly dominant from the start, Peamount took the lead from their second corner of the game on 14 minutes.

O’Gorman’s delivery was met by midfielder Eleanor Ryan Doyle whose header was fumbled over he line by keeper Niamh Coombes for a tame opening goal.

Coombes’ handling was much safer nine minutes later when she held a header from O’Gorman after Cats initially failed to clear a Megan Smyth-Lynch cross from the right.

Smyth-Lynch soon worked Coombes again with the visitors’ keeper ably dealing with the winger’s shot.

Niamh Farrelly then wasted a clear-cut chance to double Peas’ lead just past the half hour, shooting straight at Coombes after Karen Duggan’s sublime through ball put her in on goal.

Remarkably, having scarcely posed an attacking threat in the game, Cats were inches from equalising on 39 minutes.

Nicky Plunkett played a corner to left-back Leah Doyle whose speculative cross-shot was touched onto the crossbar by a somewhat unsure Naoisha McAloon before he ball was hacked clear.

Having survived that scare, Peas should have trooped off at the break a second goal to the good.

Right on 45 minutes, Cats’ skipper Sarah O’Donoghue was harshly adjudged to have tripped O’Gorman in the area. But a sense of poetic justice was served when Barrett blazed the resulting penalty way over the crossbar.

Frantic defending was needed from Cats in the early staged of the second half, Coombes initially saving well from Barrett before a Niamh Barnes header was hacked off the line by O’Donoghue from Smyth-Lynch’s corner.

Though it remained one-way traffic, Peas continued to struggle in front of goal as Kilkenny refused to lie down, deserving their luck late on when Smith-Lynch, O’Gorman and then Barrett all hit a post.

But O’Gorman finally put some gloss on Peas’ win on 89 minutes with a stunning strike from distance that sailed into the far corner of he net.

The woodwork came to Cats’ aid yet again in stoppage time when Peas' sub Dearbhaile Beirne saw her shot came back off a post.

Peamount United: McAloon; O’Callaghan, Corrigan, Barnes (Moloney, 56), McCartan (Beirne, 71); Duggan, Ryan Doyle, Farrell; O’Gorman, Barrett, Smyth-Lynch (Reddy, 90).

Kilkenny United: Coombes; Brophy, O’Donoghue, Martin, Doyle; Plunkett, Cooling (Rickards, 56); J O’Neill, Kane, Byrne; McManus.

Referee: Orla Delaney (Kildare).

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site