Round 13 of the Bus Éireann Women’s National League again produced plenty of goals and drama as vital points were up for grabs with just 2 matches remaining. Shamrock Rovers continued to play well but Wexford Youths claimed all three points in their 3-2 victory at Tallaght Stadium. Cork Women’s FC weathered a Castlebar Celtic storm in Cork to win 2-1 and the much anticipated top of the table clash between Peamount and Raheny saw the lead at the top of the table change hands yet again as Peamount claimed all three points at Morton Stadium in a tense 1-0 victory.

The lead at the top of the Bus Éireann Women’s National League has alternated between Raheny and Peamount since the beginning of the season and with only two matches left in the season a victory for either side could decide the destination of the League title. Peamount started the brighter of the two teams and got their reward after only 4 minutes when Jenny Critchley was put through by Stephanie Roche and finished well past Lynn Bradley. Raheny continued to struggle during the first half as Peamount dominated possession.

Raheny improved in the second half as they chased a goal to get back on terms. Chances fell to Katie McCabe and Siobhan Killeen but they both failed to convert. Stephanie Roche had a late chance to put the match beyond doubt but the leagues top scorer drove wide of the target. Raheny continued to apply the pressure on the Peamount goal but they could not get the all important score. The result puts Peamount back on top of the table by a single point with only two matches remaining.

Cork Women’s FC welcomed Castlebar Celtic to Cork for this mid table clash with points up for grabs in the battle to finish third. Castlebar started well but the better chances fell to Cork as Lynsey McKey and Mary Barrett should both have scored. The first goal of the game came on the 38th minute when Ericka O’Sullivan was the first to react to Denise O’Sullivan’s shot which was blocked on the line. Castlebar had played well throughout the match and deserved to get back on terms as they did through an own goal from Marie Curtin. Castlebar dominated possession in the second half but it was Cork that got the winning goal through Irish international striker, Denise O’Sullivan, who finished well after a great through ball from Lauren Murphy.

Shamrock Rovers have continued to improve as the season has gone on and were hoping that the visit of 3rd placed, Wexford Youths, would continue their progress. It was an entertaining, open match as the play flowed from end to end but the game really exploded into life after 40 minutes as first Cherelle Khassell and then Edel Kennedy scored to give the visitors a 2 goal cushion at half time. Rovers got on the score board 3 minutes into the second half thanks to a beautiful lob from Rachel Jenkins but Wexford recaptured their two goal lead thanks to a second goal from Edel Kennedy. Rovers weren’t finished though and Rachel Jenkins got her second to make sure that it would be a tense finish to the match. Wexford held on for an entertaining 3-2 win and maintained their grip on third place.

Raheny Utd                        0-1          Peamount Utd

                                                        Jenny Critchley

Cork Women’ FC              2-1          Castlebar Celtic

Erica O’Sullivan                                  Marie Curtin (og)

Denise O’Sullivan

Shamrock Rovers             2-3          Wexford Youths

Rachel Jenkins (2)                            Cherelle Khassel

                                                    Edel Kennedy (2)