Eleanor Ryan Doyle scored twice as Peamount United threw down the gauntlet to champions Wexford Youths with a rousing victory in a keenly contested Só Hotels Women’s National League clash at PRL Park, Greenogue.

It was Wexford’s first defeat of the campaign as Peas made it three victories from three to join their rivals level on points in second place in the table, though with a game in hand.

Save for Peamount striker Amber Barrett shooting tamely at Wexford keeper Sophie Lenehan 25 seconds in, a highly competitive clash from the first whistle meant chances were at a premium in a very tight first half.

Having struggled against their nemesis last year, Peas were well up for this first meeting of the season with a a noticeable determination in their play.

Lenehan made a laboured save from Karen Duggan’s speculative shot from long range on 28 minutes.

Wexford had forced three corner by that stage before they seriously threatened for the first time three minutes later.

Kylie Murphy flicked on a kick out from Lenehan for the run of Rianna Jarrett.

The goal ace just couldn’t work the tight angle, however, as she powered her shot into the sidenetting.

Lenehan had to make her third comfortable save of the game a minute before the interval, easily gathering a shot on the turn from Peas’ skipper Aine O’Gorman after good work on the left by Niamh Farrelly.

It remained very tight into the second half with the game crying out for goal to open it up.

Thankfully that arrived on 58 minutes and was worth the wait.

Ryan Doyle, playing in behind the striker, collected a loose ball some 30 yards out and truly picked her spot with a crisp right-foot drive past Lenehan to the corner of the net.

Brim full of confidence, Ryan Doyle struck another shot from distance minutes later which Lenehan had to tip over for a corner.

An unfortunate mistake from Lenehan then brought Peamount their second goal on 69 minutes.

The Youths 'keeper initially redeemed her error with a superb parry save from Barrett.

But the ball broke kindly for Ryan Doyle who side-footed to an unguarded net.

Wexford rallied admirably to get a goal back within two minutes.

Lauren Dwyer’s free kick in from the left wasn’t dealt with by the Peas defence and Youths skipper Murphy fired home through a crowded goalmouth.

Peamount dug in determinedly thereafter and were scarcely troubled again, a Jarrett shot from outside the area whizzing over their crossbar the closest Wexford came to an equaliser.

Peamount United: Reid Burke; O’Callaghan (Reddy, 90+4), Corrigan, Walsh, Moloney (Smyth-Lynch, 81); Farrelly, Duggan; Barrett, Ryan Doyle, Beirne; O’Gorman.

Wexford Youths: Lenehan; Sinnott, Conlon, Dwyer, Fahy (Ogbonna, 75); Davidson (Parrock, 64), Kelly (McKevitt, 75), Murphy, Kennedy, Frawley; Jarrett.

Referee: Gary Peeler (Dublin).

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site