Galway WFC have been crowned U17 Só Hotels Women’s National League Cup champions after an exciting 2-1 victory over Peamount United at Eamonn Deacy Park on Sunday afternoon.

An own goal and a header from Saoirse Healey were enough to redeem last year’s losing finalists despite a fight back from Peamount through Ava Donlan.

Anna Fahey did well when she took the ball into her feet in the box in the 16th minute. The forward did excellently to protect the ball from the challenge of Casey Palmer and managed to turn to get a shot off, but the striker pulled the ball just wide of the goal.

Healey went on an impressive mazy run into the box in the 20th minute when she left a couple of defenders in her wake but as she wound up for the shot Palmer lunged in with an excellent challenge to block the shot.

Peamount went very close for the first time in the 21st minute from a Della Doherty freekick from the halfway line. The ball came in high and took a dangerous hop in front of Ronayne who had to throw her hands at the ball to ensure it went over the bar.

Things settled down for both sides in the first half but it did not take long for the breakthrough to be made after the re-start.

A dangerous cross came in from the left flank towards Kayla Brady who was deep in the box. Fiona Owens, who had been keeping the midfielder quiet all game could not get her feet right and ended up nicking the ball into her own net to give Galway the lead.

The Galway Girls doubled their lead in the 52nd minute. Gough sent the ball into the box from a corner kick and it found its way all the way to the back post where an unmarked Saoirse Healey was available to nod the ball into the goal.

Peamount came very close to getting themselves back into the game with two chances in the 65th and 67th minutes.

Orla Prendergast struck an excellent free-kick at goal with Ronayne needing to stretch fully in order to keep the ball from the top corner of the net.

Two minutes later Rebecca Watkins provided Della Doherty with a gilt edged chance in front of goal but Ronayne again stood tall and managed to make the save for Galway.

Peamount managed to set up a tense finish as they finally got a foothold in the game with 8 minutes to go. A corner from the right hand side from Watkins was met in the crowded box by Ava Donlan who laid claim to it and forced the ball over the line.

Galway: Abbiegayle Ronayne; Shauna Brennan, Therese Kinnevey, Kate Slevin, Emma O’Donnoghue; Kellie Brennan, Saoirse Healey, Kayla Brady, Jane Trehy, Annie Gough; Anna Fahey (Abbie Callanan, 66).

Peamount United: Ciara Glackin; Aoife O’Leary (Ciara Marston, 69), Mia Chambers (Eimear Hanlon, 55), Allana Cassells, Casey Palmer; Chloe Smullen (Orla Prendergast, 34), Della Doherty, Fiona Owens, Rebecca Watkins; Rachel McGrath (Hazel Cawley, 40), Abbie Clarke (Ava Dolan, 55).

Referee: Emma Cleary


We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site