Bus Éireann Women’s National League Cup Round-up

Group 1

Castlebar Celtic Women's 4-4 Raheny United

Shamrock Rovers P-P Galway Women's FC

Group 2

Peamount United 0-1 Wexford Youths Women's AFC

DLR Waves 5-0 Cork Women's FC

REIGNING champions Peamount United suffered a shock defeat at the hands of Wexford Youths Women's AFC as fourteen goals spread across three games today in what was a highly entertaining second round of fixtures in the Bus Éireann Women's National League Cup.

In the day's other big story, Raheny United came from two goals behind after 35 minutes into their away clash with Castlebar Celtic to take a well deserved point back to the capital while DLR Waves bounced back brilliantly from a heavy first round defeat against Peamount to hammer Cork Women's FC 5-0 in Stepaside.

Torrential wind and rain swept across the country this weekend meaning pitches were far from their finest condition and the game between Shamrock Rovers and Galway WFC had to be postponed to a later date.

The best of the action on this miserable afternoon was in Castlebar where two sides who were victorious in the first round of fixtures shared the spoils in an eight goal thriller.

Aileen Gilroy put the hosts 1-0 ahead in the 25th minute when her 30-yard power-drive was only parried into the net by the Raheny goalkeeper.

Castlebar doubled their lead ten minutes later when Emma Mullin played the ball into Emma Hansberry whose shot was well saved, but Katie Walsh was in the right place at the right time to tap in the rebound.

Raheny refused to sit back and showed great determination to fight back and make it 2-2 at the break. Katie McCabe scored the visitors' first after cutting inside from the left wind and firing the ball into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Clare Shine made it level pegging a couple of minutes later in a similar fashion to McCabe's first, displaying some skilful footwork in the process.

Player-of-the-match Hansberry restored the lead for Castlebar with a fine individual goal after the restart. The midfielder danced her way around five defenders before sliding the ball neatly into the net.

Raheny were awarded a penalty shortly after going behind when Katie McCabe was taken down inside the box, and Rebecca Creagh had no problems in finding the net from the spot to make it 3-3

Raheny were reduced to ten players when Pearl Slattery was shown a second yellow card in the 70th minute. Despite this set-back they went in search of all three points, and they looked certain to be going home victorious when Claire Shine lobbed the goalkeeper with only two minutes remaining.

However, Hansberry miraculously managed to make it 4-4 in the dying seconds with a fantastic finish into the bottom-left corner of the goal.

Just a single goal was enough for Wexford Youths to bag a victory on the all-weather pitch in Peamount in a surprise victory for the Model County side. Amy Walsh netted the goal for Wexford just on the stroke of half-time and they carried that 1-0 lead into the break.

The game was marred by second half sleet and snow which forced the referee to suspend play for a short period of time. As conditions improved, the game restarted and the visitors held on brilliantly for all three points which now puts them on top of Group 2.

Cork Women's FC brought in some new recruits to their starting line-up yet again, but their long season continues as they suffered a second half mauling away to DLR Waves. The game was switched to the artificial pitch at Jackson Park after the conditions had deemed the original pitch unplayable.

After a delayed kick-off, Cork might have felt there was at least one point up for grabs when they were level with their opponents on a half-time scoreline of 0-0. But little did they know there was a wave of goals on the horizon.

Sylvia Gee broke the deadlock for DLR Waves in the 55th minute with a neat finish past a helpless Cork goalkeeper. Kim Turner gave the hosts a bit of breathing space ten minutes later when she got her own name on the score-sheet.

Waves began to dominate the game as Cork ran out of steam and Michelle Dunne found the net in style to make it 3-0.

Carla Moran marked her return from injury with a well deserved goal in the 83rd minute, before Aoife Moloney put the icing on the cake late on and it ended 5-0 to the Dubliners.

Next Week's Fixtures

Sunday, February 2


Bus Éireann Women's National League Cup

Group 1

Galway WFC v Castlebar Celtic                                                  

Raheny United v Shamrock Rovers                                         

Group 2

Cork Women’s FC v Peamount United

Wexford Youths Women’s AFC v DLR Waves

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site