Raheny United 0-0 Peamount United

Wexford Youths Women’s 3-0 UCD Waves

Played Saturday

Castlebar Celtic 2-2 Galway WFC

WEXFORD Youths Women's AFC shot to the top of the Continental Tyres Women’s National League with a thumping 3-0 victory over UCD Waves today.

The Model County crowd waited until the 56th minute to see their side’s first goal of 2015 when Carol Breen blasted home her third league goal of the season.

20 minutes into the second half and Wexford where two nil up as Claire O’Riordan let loose a bullet that gave Monica McGuirk no chance.

O’Riordan grabbed her second of the game seven minutes later, capitalising on a mistake in the Waves defence and tapping home to securing the points.

Elsewhere, the Dublin derby saw Raheny United and Peamount United play out a scoreless draw in Morton stadium this afternoon.

This side have been great rivals since the start of the league – the Pandas were champions in the previous two seasons and the Peas were inaugural champions in 2012.

Neither side could break the deadlock in a mild Santry stadium.

Peas keeper Broke Dunne was in inspired form keeping out two chances from Siobhan Killeen along with stopping Katie McCabe and Noelle Murray in the first half.

The visitors kept a foothold in the second half and held out for their eighth away point of the season and their fourth successive draw.

Today’s results mean that Wexford Youths leap-frog Raheny United to the top of the table. Both Wexford and the Pandas have played ten games each with Wexford on 26 points one point clear of Raheny United.

On Saturday evening Aoife Herbert’s last minute penalty grabbed Castlebar Celtic a share of the spoils after Galway WFC had twice taken the lead.

Ruth Fahy opened the scoring for the Tribeswomen on 28 minutes as she notched up her fifth goal of this year’s league campaign.

Castlebar were back on level terms two minutes before the break with Emma Hannsberry driving home as the snow fell in Celtic Park.

Celtic keeper Aoife Brennan held off the visitors in the second half, producing top saves from Ruth Fahy and two from Meabh De Burca before Lynsey McKey put Galway in front.

Aoife Herbert was the saviour for Celtic converting the 92nd minute penalty, meaning Celtic have collected four from six points off their western rivals this season.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site