Raheny United 2-3 UCD Waves

Cork City Women’s 1-3 Galway WFC


Played Saturday

Castlebar Celtic 2-1 Peamount United

THE Continental Tyres Women's National League title race took an interesting twist today when UCD Waves beat champions Raheney to move within five points of leaders Wexford Youths Women’s AFC.

Waves inflict a first home defeat on Raheny United since November 2012 in a five-goal thriller at Morton Stadium.

The visitors took the lead on 17 minutes with a fantastic strike from Aine O’Gorman after Raheny had been making most of the early running then Julie Ann Russell’s 30-yard free-kick rattled the United crossbar on 21 minutes with Pandas keeper Niamh Reid Burke beaten all ends up.

Raheny were back on level terms after 33 minutes after Waves keeper Monica McGuirk failed to collect Siobhan Killeen’s corner then Niamh Walsh hooked in a shot which came off the crossbar before Rebecca Creagh’s diving header sent the ball home.

Waves regained the lead three minutes before half-time as Aine O’Gorman’s corner found an unmarked Orlaigh Nolan and she headed past Reid Burke.

The visitors went further ahead 12 minutes into the second half in an unusual goal as Aine O’Gorman’s corner ended up in the net off the hands of Burke.

Burke protested to referee Olivia Sneyd for a foul, but the goal stood and things got worse for Raheny as Pearl Slattery received her marching orders two minutes later.

Raheny got a glimmer of hope 13 minutes before the end as Creagh smashed home from the spot after Siobhan Killeen was brought down in the box.

The result leaves Waves in second place five points behind Wexford Youths women’s with three games remaining although Youths have one game in hand on Waves. Champions Raheny United remain in third place, 10 points behind the leaders, though have played a game less.


Elsewhere, Galway WFC picked up their second victory of the season and their first on the road with a 3-1 win away to Cork City Women’s FC.

Ruth Fahy's header from a Lisa Casserly corner on 26 minutes gave Don O’Riordan’s side the lead. It was Fahy’s seventh goal of the season.

Lynsey McKey grabbed Galway’s second goal in spectacular fashion on 70 minutes - chipping City keeper Trisha Fennelly from outside the box.

Lisa Casserly wrapped up the points for the Tribeswomen four minutes later before Maggie Duncliffe grabbed a sensational 25 yard consolation for Cork City. Galway WFC stand in sixth place on 11 points with three games remaining.


On Saturday evening Castlebar Celtic picked up their third win of the season with a 2-1 win over Peamount United.

Celtic took the lead with the game just five minutes old after Peas keeper Brooke Dunne had tipped Katie Melly’s shot over the bar. Yvonne Hedigan drove home her first of the season from the resulting corner.

The home side doubled their advantage 11 minutes later with Emma Hannsberry grabbing her fourth of the season.

Peas got back into the game on 67 minutes with Hayley Nolan picking up her second of the season.

The visitors searched for a late equaliser with Hayley Nolan unable to find a way past the Celtic  rear guard, leaving Adrian Carberry’s side in fifth place on 15 points, just one behind Peamount.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to manage them, see our Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site