Shelbourne Ladies claimed the Continental Tyres Women’s National League with victory over UCD Waves in Morton Stadium.



Goals from Siobhan Killeen, Alex Kavanagh and Noelle Murray secured victory over Dublin rivals UCD Waves and the club's first Women’s National League title.


The victory sees Shelbourne Ladies move to 29 points with just one game remaining, eight points clear of UCD Waves and six clear of second-placed Peamount United.


Waves striker Eleanor Ryan struck the cross-bar after just 10 minutes in a game that UCD Waves had to win to stand any chance of winning the WNL title.


UCD keeper Erica Turner very nearly gifted the hosts the lead two minutes before half time as she spilled Siobhan Killeen’s cross, gathering it on the line before Killeen opened the scoring just before the break. It was a fantastic moment for the Radiographer who found space on the edge of the area to curl an effort over the keeper to score her fifth goal of the season.


Leanne Kiernan nearly doubled the Shels advantage nine minutes into the second half when her strike hit the bottom of the post and spun wide.


Waves pressed for an equaliser throughout the second-half and Orlagh Nolan had a goal-bound effort blocked by Niamh Walsh which should have levelled the tie. However it was to be Shels' night as Republic of Ireland international Alex Kavanagh was able to control Gloria Douglas' cross, turn, flick up and rifle home into the top corner 11 minutes from time.


UCD Waves pulled one back in the final minute of normal time as second half substitute Naima Chemaou fired home through Amanda McQuillan's near-post to set up a tense finale.


However, in added time, Shels wrapped up the title and in some style as well.  Republic of Ireland international Noelle Murray took advantage of a mis-placed pass to flick up and fire home with an incredible chip from just inside the UCD half. 


The victory sees Shelbourne Ladies become the fourth club to claim the Women’s National League title joining Peamount United, Raheny United and Wexford Youths WFC.


Meanwhile, Peamount United moved into second place with a 4-3 victory over Wexford Youths WFC in Ferrycarrig Park.


Amber Barrett gave Peamount the lead on 16 minutes as she turned a Peas corner home. Aoibheann Webb levelled the tie up four minutes later.


Webb put Wexford in front on 24 minutes as she followed up Claire O’Riordan shot in which had been saved by Naoisha McAloon.


Amber Barrett equalised four minutes later with a long range lob to make it 2-2. Heather Payne restored Peamount's lead one minute into the second half.


Emma Hansberry appeared to have ensured a share of the spoils with a free-kick seven minutes from time.


However, the action wasn’t done as Sarah McKevitt struck the winner with two minutes remaining to make it 4-3 to Peamount United.