Wexford Youth secured another important three points in their bid to reclaim the Continental Tyres Women’s National League title as they defeated Cork City 3-1 at Bishopstown on Saturday evening.

A clever finish from Rianna Jarrett and a brilliant brace from Edel Kennedy was enough to see the Champions earn that victory that sees them maintain their six-point lead over Shelbourne at the top at the expense of the FAI Cup holders, who responded in vain through Eadaoin Lyons.

And it was City who created the game’s first goalscoring opportunity as Danielle Sheehy went close to grabbing her fourth goal in three games within the opening two minutes.

The ball broke kindly to the winger inside the area but she could only drive her effort narrowly wide of the near post.

Wexford soon gained control of proceedings and they almost broke the deadlock in the twentieth minute following a sweeping attacking move.

Rianna Jarrett’s pass released Emma Hansberry down the right-hand side and her excellent cross picked out Becky Conroy at the back post but the attacker couldn’t hit the target with her volley.

City were next to threaten just past the half an hour mark with a great passage of play of their own as Danielle Burke’s thunderous tackle saw her regain possession in the opposition half.

The midfielder rolled the ball to Sheehy and her clipped pass over the top of the defence sent Saoirse Noonan through on goal but the striker couldn’t get a clean shot away as Youths’ keeper Sophie Lenehan rushed from her line to smother the effort.

That proved to be decisive as with the first half drawing to a close Wexford finally ended the stalemate thanks to Edel Kennedy.

The goal came with a hint of good fortune as Kennedy’s initial through pass for Jarrett deflected back into her path allowing her to coolly tuck the ball into the bottom left corner when one on one with the City shot-stopper.

And Wexford quickly doubled their lead moments before the half time break as Rianna Jarrett netted her 17th league goal of the season.

Sophie Lenehan’s clearance sent the Republic of Ireland international in on goal and she expertly lifted the ball over the head of fellow Irish international Amanda Budden and into the back of her net.

Wexford started the second half in a similar manner to how they ended the first as they grabbed a third shortly after the restart when Edel Kennedy fired in her second of the evening.

Becky Cassin’s pass over the top was delicately touched into the path of Kennedy by Hansberry but there was nothing delicate about the finish as she emphatically powered her volley past the keeper from close range.

City, to their credit, failed to let their heads drop and they grabbed what proved to be a consolation with fifteen minutes remaining through Eadaoin Lyons.

Lyons brilliantly drilled the ball across the keeper and into the far bottom left corner with virtually her first touch of the match but it wasn’t enough to inspire a comeback as Wexford deservedly held onto the win.

CORK CITY WOMEN: Amanda Budden, Nathalie O’Brien (Amy McCormack 76), Danielle Burke, Mary Barrett (Eabha O’Mahony 45), Saoirse Noonan, Michelle O’Driscoll (Eadaoin Lyons 75), Danielle Sheehy, Maggie Duncliffe, Katie McCarthy, Zara Foley, Emma Farmer.

WEXFORD YOUTHS: Sophie Lenehan, Nicola Sinnott, Lauren Dwyer (Ciara Delaney 64), Orlaith Conlon, Becky Cassin (Cliodhna Ni She 85), Kylie Murphy, Rianna Jarrett, Edel Kennedy, Emma Hansberry, Katrina Parrock (McKenna Davidson 70), Becky Conroy.

Referee: J.P Grey.